JSC National Atomic Company "Kazatomprom" (“Kazatomprom” or “the Company”) announces that today the Company’s Board of Directors has approved the appointment of Mr. Yerzhan Mukanov as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chair of Kazatomprom’s Management Board. Mr. Mukanov, who has been acting CEO since July and Chief Operations Officer since March 2022, brings a great deal of expertise to his new position, having years of experience within the nuclear industry. He has served in numerous nuclear industry roles over his 23-year career, starting as an engineer of the laboratory of special methods of enrichment and hydrometallurgy at the Institute of Metallurgy and Enrichment under the Republic of Kazakhstan Academy of Sciences, joining the Kazatomprom Group in 2006 first as a process engineer at JV KATCO LLP, then as production development coordinator at AREVA Mines, before moving through senior executive positions in Kazatomprom’s subsidiaries and affiliates including JV KATCO LLP, Kazatomprom-SaUran LLP, Karatau LLP and Semizbay-U LLP.
“I am happy to welcome Mr. Mukanov on behalf of the Board,” said Neil Longfellow, Chair of the Company’s Board of Directors. “His appointment is in line with the Company’s succession plan, which was developed following the IPO and continues to ensure the Kazatomprom is led by well qualified individuals. Mr. Mukanov is well equipped to lead the Company and execute on our strategic plans, with a continued focus on generating value for stakeholders.”
“I am honored to accept this appointment to lead Kazatomprom’s team, and I would like to thank the Board of Directors for expressing confidence in my ability to do so,” said Mr. Mukanov. “I am eager to take on the CEO role to continue supporting Kazatomprom’s position as the leader in the global nuclear fuel market. In line with our focus throughout the Company, I will continue reinforcing the cornerstones of our success, including strong governance, health, safety and environmental protection, social responsibility, and transparency, as we continue to deliver strong results in line with our market-focused strategy. With positive momentum building throughout the nuclear market at the moment, it is an exciting time to be working in this industry, particularly within the world’s foremost primary uranium producer.”
With the promotion of Mr. Mukanov to CEO, the Company, with the support of the Board of Directors, has initiated a recruitment process to assess appropriate candidates for the Chief Operations Officer position.
Kazatomprom’s senior management team currently consists of:
- Yerzhan Mukanov, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Management Board;
- Kamila Syzdykova, Chief Financial Officer, member of the Management Board;
- Askar Batyrbayev, Chief Commercial Officer, member of the Management Board;
- Dosbolat Sarymsakov, Chief Nuclear Fuel Cycle Officer, member of the Management Board;
- Alibek Aldongarov, Chief HR and Digitalization Officer, member of the Management Board;
- Kazbek Shaimerdinov, Managing Director of Legal Support and Risks.
Full biographies are available on the Company’s website, www.kazatomprom.kz.
Notice of extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders
NAC Kazatomprom JSC, located at 17/12, Syganak street, Nur-Sultan, Z05T1X3, the Republic of Kazakhstan hereby notifies its shareholders of holding an extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of NAC Kazatomprom JSC (hereinafter – the "Meeting") in absentia in accordance with Articles 35-41, 43-47, 49-52 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 13 May 2003 No. 415-II "On Joint Stock Companies" (hereinafter – the “Law On Joint Stock Companies”). The initiator of the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders is Kazatomprom’s major shareholder, Samruk-Kazyna JSC, that owns 194,517,456 ordinary shares of the Company (decisions of Samruk-Kazyna Management Board No. 38/22 dated 14 July 2022 and No. 49/22 dated 9 September 2022).
Agenda of the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders
1. On the composition of the Board of Directors of NAC Kazatomprom JSC.
In connection with the termination of the powers of Mr. Mazhit Sharipov as the Chairman of the Management Board of NAC Kazatomprom JSC and the appointment of Mr. Yerzhan Mukanov as a new Chairman of the Management Board of NAC Kazatomprom JSC, the issues of early termination of Mr. Sharipov’s powers as a member of Kazatomprom’s Board of Directors according to his application and the election of Mr. Mukanov a new member of the Company’s Board of Directors for a period until the expiration of the whole term of office of Kazatomprom’s Board of Directors are being submitted to the General Meeting of Shareholders for review.
Start date of the provision of ballots for counting the results of absentee voting is 24 October 2022.
Closing date for accepting ballots for counting the results of absentee voting is 31 October 2022, until 18:00 (Nur-Sultan time).
The date of counting the results of absentee voting is 1 November 2022, until 18:00 (Nur-Sultan time).
The date and time of drawing up the list of shareholders entitled to participate in the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of the Company is 30 September 2022 at 00:00 (Nur–Sultan time).
Materials on the agenda of the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of the Company will be ready and available to shareholders no later than 10 days before the date of the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of the Company in the office of NAC Kazatomprom JSC at: office No. 11, 18th floor, 17/12 Syganak street, Yessil district, Nur-Sultan, Z05T1X3, the Republic of Kazakhstan, on business days from 9:00 to 18:00 (Nur-Sultan time). If there is a request from a shareholder of the Company, the materials on the agenda of the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of the Company will be sent to this shareholder within 3 (three) working days from the date of receipt of the request, while the costs for making copies of documents and their delivery are borne by the shareholder. Shareholders' requests are accepted at the actual address of the Company in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The notice of the upcoming Meeting, as well as the ballot for absentee voting will be available on the Company's web site in accordance with the law "On Joint Stock Companies" and the Company's Charter.
We hereby invite shareholders to familiarize themselves with the following procedure for holding the Meeting:
- Shareholders voting by sending a ballot for absentee voting must indicate the surname, first name, patronymic /name of the legal entity, the number of voting shares and choose one of the voting options.
- An absentee ballot shall be signed by a shareholder – an individual (a representative of a shareholder – an individual), who shall indicate his/her identity document (ID / passport number, date of issue, issuing authority, and individual identification number (IIN)). A shareholder shall also provide a copy of his/her identity document.
- Absentee voting ballot of a shareholder - a legal entity shall be signed by its CEO (a representative of a shareholder- legal entity).
- A ballot which is not signed, by a shareholder – an individual, or the CEO of a shareholder - a legal entity or a representative of a shareholder – an individual, or a representative of a shareholder – legal entity shall be deemed invalid.
- Only one voting option shall be marked in the ballot.
- The ballot for absentee voting must be received by NAC Kazatomprom JSC or provided on a hard copy to the office of NAC Kazatomprom JSC at: 17/12 Syganak Street, Yessil district, Nur-Sultan, Republic of Kazakhstan, Z05T1X3, by 18:00, on 31 October 2022 (Nur-Sultan time).
- In case of signing a ballot for absentee voting by a representative of a shareholder, the ballot for absentee voting is followed by the copy of power of attorney or other document confirming the powers of the shareholder’s representative.
- For votes counting, only those votes on the agenda items are counted where a shareholder (a representative of a shareholder) followed the voting procedure prescribed in the ballot, and only one of the voting options was marked.
- The General Meeting of Shareholders of NAC Kazatomprom JSC may consider and make decisions on the agenda items only if the shareholders (representatives of shareholders), included in the list of shareholders entitled to participate and vote, and owning in total fifty or more percent of voting shares of the Company, were registered as of the period or on the closing date for submission of ballots.
- The list of Kazatomprom’s shareholders entitled to participate and vote at the extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of NAC Kazatomprom JSC is compiled by the Central Securities Depository JSC based on the data of Kazatomprom’s shareholders register system.
- If, after compiling a list of shareholders entitled to participate and vote at the General Meeting of Shareholders, a person included in such a list alienated his/her voting shares of the Company, the right to participate in the General Meeting of Shareholders is transferred to a new shareholder. In this case, documents confirming the ownership of shares shall be submitted.
- Kazatomprom’s shareholder has the right to participate in the management of the Company in accordance with the procedure provided for by the Law "On Joint Stock Companies" and (or) the Company's Charter.
- Holders of Global Depositary Receipts have the right to vote at the General Meetings of Shareholders of NAC Kazatomprom JSC on behalf of the beneficiary owners with respect to the deposited shares, given that the identification and other information required by applicable Kazakhstan legislation, in relation to the beneficial owners in the Central Securities Depository JSC is provided through the Depositary (Citibank N.A.).
For more information, please contact:
Extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders Inquiries
Aidar Aishabekov, Chief Manager, Corporate Secretary’s Service
Tel.: +7 7172 45 83 33 (int. 10135)
Kazatomprom Investor Relations Inquiries
Cory Kos, International Adviser, Investor Relations
Botagoz Muldagaliyeva, Director of Investor Relations
Tel: +7 (8) 7172 45 81 80
Kazatomprom Public Relations and Media Inquiries
Gazhaiyp Kumisbek, Chief Expert of GR & PR Department
Tel: +7 (8) 7172 45 80 63
A copy of this announcement will be available at the Company’s website www.kazatomprom.kz.
Kazatomprom is the world's largest producer of uranium, with the Company’s attributable production representing approximately 24% of global primary uranium production in 2021. The Group benefits from the largest reserve base in the industry and operates, through its subsidiaries, JVs and Associates, 26 deposits grouped into 14 mining assets. All of the Company’s mining operations are located in Kazakhstan and extract uranium using ISR technology with a focus on maintaining industry-leading health, safety and environment standards.
Kazatomprom securities are listed on the London Stock Exchange, Astana International Exchange, and Kazakhstan Stock Exchange. As the national atomic company in the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Group's primary customers are operators of nuclear generation capacity, and the principal export markets for the Group's products are China, South and Eastern Asia, Europe and North America. The Group sells uranium and uranium products under long-term contracts, short-term contracts, as well as in the spot market, directly from its headquarters in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, and through its Switzerland-based trading subsidiary, Trade House KazakAtom AG (THK).
For more information, please see the Company website at www.kazatomprom.kz
All statements other than statements of historical fact included in this communication or document are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements give the Company’s current expectations and projections relating to its financial condition, results of operations, plans, objectives, future performance and business. These statements may include, without limitation, any statements preceded by, followed by or including words such as “target,” “believe,” “expect,” “aim,” “intend,” “may,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “plan,” “project,” “will,” “can have,” “likely,” “should,” “would,” “could” and other words and terms of similar meaning or the negative thereof. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other important factors beyond the Company’s control that could cause the Company’s actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from the expected results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on numerous assumptions regarding the Company’s present and future business strategies and the environment in which it will operate in the future. THE INFORMATION WITH RESPECT TO ANY PROJECTIONS PRESENTED HEREIN IS BASED ON A NUMBER OF ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT FUTURE EVENTS AND IS SUBJECT TO SIGNIFICANT ECONOMIC AND COMPETITIVE UNCERTAINTY AND OTHER CONTINGENCIES, NONE OF WHICH CAN BE PREDICTED WITH ANY CERTAINTY AND SOME OF WHICH ARE BEYOND THE CONTROL OF THE COMPANY. THERE CAN BE NO ASSURANCES THAT THE PROJECTIONS WILL BE REALISED, AND ACTUAL RESULTS MAY BE HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THOSE INDICATED. NONE OF THE COMPANY NOR ITS SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, ADVISORS OR AFFILIATES, OR ANY REPRESENTATIVES OR AFFILIATES OF THE FOREGOING, ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OF THE PROJECTIONS PRESENTED HEREIN. The information contained in this communication or document, including but not limited to forward-looking statements, applies only as of the date hereof and is not intended to give any assurances as to future results. The Company expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to disseminate any updates or revisions to such information, including any financial data or forward-looking statements, and will not publicly release any revisions it may make to the Information that may result from any change in the Company’s expectations, any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which these forward-looking statements are based, or other events or circumstances arising after the date hereof.